How can I come to Canada as a skilled trades worker?

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is for people who want to become permanent residents of Canada based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience in an eligible skilled trade;
  • Meet minimum language levels in English or French;
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total of at least one year; or  
  • Have a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a province or territory

Ontario has Express Entry streams called the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program that are specific to that province, should you choose to live in Ontario.

If you plan on living in Quebec, there is a different Quebec-selected skilled workers application process. 

What kind of Work Experience do I Need?

Your work experience must be in a trade that is part of Skill Level B in the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

You must have had that work experience during the last 5 years.

How do I Apply to the FSTP?

If you are eligible to apply under the FST category, you may submit your profile to Express Entry. Express Entry is a new online application system for economic immigration categories, such as the FSTP.

For More Information

  • Come to Canada - A tool that can help you figure out what your options are if you want to come to Canada as an immigrant, student, worker or visitor. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
  • Access to Professions and Trades Guide - If you are an internationally educated professional or tradesperson coming to Canada or already in Ontario this guide can help you access your profession or trade. From Settlement.Org
Last updated: June 23, 2021 4001614