I am an international student. Can I apply for permanent residence?

As an international student studying in Canada, you are considered a temporary resident.

The Canadian government expects that you will leave Canada once you have completed your studies unless you apply for PR or a work permit.

International students in Ontario can apply for permanent residence under 3 programs:

You must meet the eligibility requirements to apply for these programs. Applicants are ranked through the Express Entry system. Extra points are awarded to graduates of Canadian college or university programs. Applicants who have the highest rankings in the Express Entry system are invited to apply for permanent residency.

If you are not selected to immigrate to Canada, you may want to apply for a post-graduation work permit after you finish your studies. This will allow you to stay in Canada and work legally. In some cases, being employed in certain occupations can increase your chances of having a successful immigration application.

For More Information

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC) - Information about immigrating under the Canadian Experience Class. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
  • Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) - Information about Ontario's OINP. From the government of Ontario website.
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Last updated: October 23, 2019 4000235