Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card

Here are some general answers to frequently asked questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

How long will I have to wait before I receive my PR Card?

Generally, it takes about  45 days to process PR cards for new permanent residents once IRCC receives a complete application package from individuals who have fulfilled their residency requirements. Applications for renewed PR Cards generally take  104 days. You can find up-to-date application processing times on the IRCC website.

However, many people have found that it can take several months to process PR card applications. Therefore, it is a good idea to allow a lot of time for your PR application to be processed.

How will I receive my PR Card?

If you are a new permanent resident, IRCC will mail you the PR card once you arrive in Canada. You do not need to apply for a PR card if you are a new permanent resident.

If you did not provide a mailing address when you became a permanent resident, you must send Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada your address through IRCC’s online tool within 180 days of the day on which you became a permanent resident. If you do not do this, IRCC will cancel the PR card and you will have to apply for another one and pay the processing fees.

If you do not receive your PR card within six weeks of giving IRCC your Canadian address, you should let IRCC know.

If you are an existing permanent resident who has received their PR card in the past, you will most likely also receive your renewed PR card by mail.

However, it is possible that you may be asked to pick up your PR card at an IRCC office. If you are randomly chosen to pick up your PR card, IRCC will contact you to schedule an appointment. You may reschedule your appointment if needed. However, you must pick up your PR card within 180 days, otherwise you may need to re-apply.

I received my PR Card but my name was not complete/correct on the Card. How can I correct it?

PR cards have limited space for names. If your surname is longer than 20 characters, or if your given names (first and middle) are longer than 15 characters, your name will be shortened. This is not a mistake. This is OK.

If, however, your name has been misspelled, you should contact IRCC to reissue your PR card.

After landing in Canada, what if I need to return to my country to settle my affairs?

The PR card is also a travel document. You should generally wait until you have received your PR card before travelling. If you must travel, contact the IRCC call centre at 1-888-242-2100 for information on travel and documentation requirements.

What do I do with my valid PR Card when I apply for a renewed card?

You should keep your valid PR card until you receive your renewed card. If you must travel during this period, you may continue to use your valid PR card for re-entry into Canada.

Once you receive your renewed PR card, you should destroy the old one.

Where can I get help?

Please see the IRCC website for further information on renewing PR cards, or call the IRCC call centre at 1-888-242-2100.

You can get help from a settlement agency in your area. To look for an agency, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

You can also post your questions and read about the experiences of other newcomers on our Discussion Forum.

For More Information

Last updated: April 19, 2021 4000502