How can I get travel documents if I am a protected person in Canada?

Passport Canada issues refugee travel documents and certificates of identity to protected persons in Canada.  This is the case whether you are stateless or if you have citizenship from another country.

Important Note: US border services have recently made changes to who may enter the US. Please read this article for more information.

If you are a protected person or stateless person in Canada, but not yet a Canadian citizen, you may still be able to travel with documents issued by Passport Canada.  However, these documents do not allow you to travel to your country of citizenship.  Obtaining these documents can take several months, and it is recommended that you do not make travel plans until you receive them.

If you are a refugee or protected person you may be given a refugee travel document. In some cases you may be given a certificate of identity.

Once you have submitted your application form and supporting documents, Passport Canada will decide which document you are eligible for.  There are fees for both documents. Not all countries recognize certificates of identity; therefore, you should check with the consulate or embassy of the country you are planning to visit about their entry requirements.


To apply for either document, you must fill in an application form, sign it and, ask a guarantor and two references to sign it as well. A guarantor is a person who can confirm your identity. The requirements for guarantors are listed on the application form. Only certain people can be a guarantor for your application.

Along with the application form, you will need to submit the following documents: 

It is also important to remember that if you are travelling to a country that requires a visa, you will need to obtain one.  When you travel, you should also bring documentation proving your status in Canada to show immigration officials upon your return to Canada.

For More Information

  • Applying for a Travel Document  - A webpage with information about how to apply for a travel document.  The page includes detailed application specifications, a listing of fees for children and adults and a link to the application form.  From Service Canada.

  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Last updated: October 15, 2018 4001608