Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can I find a family doctor?
There is a shortage of family doctors in many areas in Ontario. It may take you some time to find a doctor.
A family doctor is also called general practitioner (GP). Family doctors are usually the first doctors to diagnose and treat most medical problems. If you need to see a specialist doctor, usually, you need a family doctor to refer you. Family doctors also order laboratory and other tests.
Here are a few ways you can look for a family doctor:
- Ask a friend or family member if their doctor is accepting new patients.
- Register with Health Care Connect. This program refers you to a local doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients. You need to have OHIP to use this service. It is run by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. To register, call 1-800-445-1822.
- Use the Doctor Search service. It is run by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. You can also call 1-800-268-7096 ext. 626. If you are in Toronto, call 416-967-2626.
- Look in the Yellow Pages of your telephone book. Search for Physicians & Surgeons.
- Ask the nearest hospital if it has a family practice unit.
- You can also ask a worker at your local settlement agency. They might have a list of doctors who are accepting new patients or who speak your language. To find a settlement agency, go to Services Near Me.
When you contact a doctor, you need to find out if she or he is accepting new patients.
Where can I get medical help if I don't have a family doctor?
For More Information
January 10, 2012
- Your Health Care Options - Information and links about your options to get health care in Ontario. It includes a medical services directory of walk-in and after hours clinics, urgent care centres, and family health care providers. You can search the directory by location and type of services. It is run by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- MedVisit Doctors House Call Service and MD Home Call - Available in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). These companies can arrange for a doctor to visit your home. If you have OHIP, you do not have to pay. If you do not have OHIP, you have to pay the doctor.
- Rainbow Health Ontario Service Directory – This directory includes doctors and healthcare professionals who deliver LGBTQ+ friendly services.