Where can I get health care if I don't have OHIP?

If you don't have a health (OHIP) card, you might be eligible for services at a Community Health Centre (CHC). Some doctors accept patients who have private health insurance or who pay for services.

Many settlement and community agencies can help you find health care. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" or "community health centres" in your area.

For More Information

  • OHIP Coverage Waiting Period - Information about the 3-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. From the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
  • Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA) - Represents more than 80 private insurance companies in Canada. The CLHIA website describes the different types of insurance products, services, and CLHIA publications.
  • OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (OLHI) - An independent complaint resolution and information service for consumers of Canadian life and health insurance products and services.
  • TheHealthLine.ca - This website can help you find health and community services in Ontario. From Community Care Access Centres.
  • Refugee HealthLine - Call this line (1-866-286-4770), for free, to register for help in being connected with a health service provider who can assist with initial medical assessments and referral to other health services. This is not an emergency or crisis line.
Last updated: July 22, 2022 4001221