Skip Breadcrumb Links
What are some free attractions I can attend in Ontario?
Immigrants often feel isolated when trying to navigate a new community. A lot of your time can be spent on the settlement challenges that come with the big change. Things like improving your language skills and looking for employment are essential, but it’s also important to make time for fun activities.
One way to break free from the daily challenges is to take advantage of some of the cultural attractions and events your city has to offer. The Institute for Canadian Citizenship, in collaboration with Immigration Citizenship and Refugees Canada, developed the Canoo app for newcomers. Canoo is a free app that features some of Canada’s best cultural and outdoor experiences.
As an eligible newcomer, you can enjoy many exciting attractions in your area for free through the Canoo Access Pass that can help you feel more connected and at home. The Canoo Access Pass unlocks a one-year membership to over 1400 free experiences and cultural events across Canada you can take advantage of with your family.
Who is eligible?
The Canoo app is available to all newcomers over the age of 18 who are:
- Permanent residents living in Canada within the first 5 years
- Canadian citizens living in Canada within the first 12 months
Families with up to 4 kids under the age of 18 can access the membership benefits.
How do I get the Canoo App?
- Download the Canoo App from the App Store or Google Play on your mobile phone. You will need Android 10 or iOS 11 versions or later.
- Once you’ve installed the app, you will be prompted to scan your citizenship certificate or PR card to confirm your eligibility for the one-year Access Pass membership to the free attractions.
- Once registered, you will get access to all the free venues, events, deals and discounts, and volunteering opportunities around you.
- See a free attraction in the app you want to visit? Go to the venue and tell the check-in counter that you are a Canoo member. They will give you a QR code to scan on your phone, or a code to enter manually, and you and your family are all set to enjoy the activity.
What kinds of attractions can I expect to see?
With the Canoo Access Pass, you and your family can explore free attractions in Ontario for a full year. Some places you can visit are:
And lots more!
You will also have access to attractions across Canada for free, and discounts to:
Canoo members get discounts to concerts, festivals, sports, travel, brands, and recreational activities. You will also get access to volunteering opportunities that can help you get more active in your community.
Is it safe to scan my immigration documents to the app?
Yes, it’s safe. Canoo does not keep any of your documents on file. That information is stored safely through a third party server managed by the Government of Canada. For more information on the app’s privacy policies, you can visit the Canoo Helpdesk.
Presented by: Canoo
For More Information
- Discover Ontario - This website invites newcomers to learn more about their new home. It has information about arts and culture, history, tourism, geography, fun facts and more.
- Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries - Get information about what the Ontario government is doing to preserve arts and culture, heritage and libraries in Ontario.
- Ontario Heritage Trust - This website has information about hundreds of historical museums, buildings and sites across Ontario.
January 10, 2023