Where can I get help with my tax return?

You can get help from an accountant, a free tax clinic, or a community agency.

If you need help with your tax return, you can pay to use the services of a Chartered Accountant or a tax preparation company.

If you cannot afford to pay for assistance, you may be eligible for a free tax clinic. Generally, these clinics are for people who have a low-income and a simple tax situation (for example, no rental or business income).

  • Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics - from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For more information and to see if you are eligible, call 1-800-959-8281. You may need to make an appointment.

You can also contact a community agency about getting help to file your taxes. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me and search for "community agency" in your area.

Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. Find out more in Do I have to file a tax return?

For More Information

  • Newcomers to Canada - This guide is for first time tax filers in Canada. It will help you determine if you are a resident for tax purposes, which is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. From the CRA.
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - The federal agency responsible for administering tax, benefits and related programs across the country. Their website provides detailed information about tax-related issues.
  • Frequently Asked Questions about Individual Taxation - Information and answers about tax rates and how to file your return. From the CRA.
  • General Income Tax and Benefit Package - A collection of forms and information sheets which you need to file your income tax return. From the CRA.
  • Ontario Tax Credits and Benefits - Learn about the different tax credits and benefits you can get to help you with living costs when you file your income tax return. From the Ministry of Finance.
Last updated: October 16, 2018 4000150