What do I need to know about vehicle licensing?

You must register and insure your vehicle - it is the law.

All vehicles in Ontario must be registered and insured. If you own a vehicle, you are responsible for making sure it meets the requirements.

The Ministry of Transportation has more information about registering and insuring your vehicle, including how much this costs and when you must do it.

To operate a vehicle, you must also have valid car insurance and a valid driver’s licence. Carry these important documents with you when you drive.

Motorcycles need to be registered and insured too. You need a motorcycle licence to operate this type of vehicle.

Bicycles do not need to be registered or insured and you do not need a license to ride a bicycle.

If you are bringing a car into Canada from another country, you will need to register and insure your vehicle with agencies in Ontario. Read more about bringing a car into Canada from the United States.

For More Information

  • Vehicle Registration in Ontario - Frequently Asked Questions and answers from the Ministry of Transportation.
  • Buying, Selling or Transferring Used Vehicles - Your rights and responsibilities under the law. From the Ministry of Transportation.
  • Consumer Beware List - This is a list of businesses, including car repair shops, that consumers have complained about to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. It provides details on the nature of the complaint and if any charges were laid.
Last updated: December 4, 2018 4000159