Skip Breadcrumb Links
How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?
If you live in Ontario and want to drive, you must have an Ontario driver's licence. The process to get a driver's licence depends on if you are a new driver, or if you have had a driver's licence before.
If you have a International Driver's Permit (IDP), you can use this when you first arrive in Canada. Find more information about using an IDP in Ontario.
The Ontario driver's licence is a blue, plastic card. The card has your photo, name, address, date of birth and signature on it. It is common to use a driver's licence as an identity document. You have to carry your driver's licence with you when you drive.
The licence has an expiry date. You have to renew it before it expires.
Types of Licences
Ontario has different licences depending on which kind of vehicle you want to drive. These are common types of licence:
- G class (includes G1 and G2) - For cars, vans and small trucks
- M class (includes M1 and M2) - For motorcycles, motor scooters and mopeds
You can have more than one kind of licence. You do not need a licence to ride a bicycle.
To Get a Driver's Licence
To get a driver's licence in Ontario, you must be 16 years old or older. You must pass a vision test to show that you can see well enough to drive safely.
You have to apply for a driver's licence. The process depends on if you are a new driver or if you have had a driver's licence before. In all cases, you have to go to a
Driver Examination Centre. You have to show:
- Proof of name
- Proof of your age / date of birth
- A document with your signature
You have to pay a fee to apply. See more information about how to apply for a driver's licence.
Find more information about how to get a driver's licence in these cases:
Contact the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario
The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is the government department that controls driver's licences and vehicle registration in Ontario. Call the MTO if you have questions:
- In Ontario: 1-800-387-3445
- In Toronto: 416-235-2999
- TTY: 1-866-471-8929
For More Information
- Driver Examination Centres - You can take written tests and driving tests at these centres. From the DriveTest website.
- Driver and Vehicle Licence Offices - You can renew your driver's licence, change your address or other information on your licence, get a driver's handbook and get other routine services at these offices.
- Driver's Handbook Online - The official guide to the rules of the road, safe driving practices and how to get your licence to drive a car, van or small truck. From the Ministry of Transportation.
- Out of Country Drivers - Information on how to get an Ontario licence if you have had a driver's licence before but are not eligible for a licence exchange. From the DriveTest website.
- Ministry of Transportation (MTO) - The provincial government agency responsible for the transportation industry and driving. The website has information about driver and vehicle licensing and Ontario transit systems.
August 18, 2020