What kind of health insurance do international students get?

International students at a university or college in Ontario get health insurance through their school.

As an international student, you are not eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Your school will offer a special health plans for you. Public universities generally offer the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), while colleges and private universities use other plans. Your spouse and children may be eligible, if they are with you in Canada.

These plans are not free. The cost of health insurance is added to your tuition and student fees.

You may be exempt from the school's plan, if you are already covered by certain plans.

How do I enroll?

For more information on how to enroll, contact the International Student Services or Registrar's Office at your university or college.

Ask your school for information on what is covered by your plan and how much it will cost.

For More Information

  • The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) - Provides general information on UHIP coverage, cost, and how to make a claim.
  • Studying in Canada - Information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for people planning to come to Canada as international students.
  • International Students - This webpage has information about coming to Ontario as an international student, and working while you study and after you graduate. From the Ontario Immigration website.
Last updated: July 11, 2023 4001547