Where can I get my English level evaluated?

There are many different types of assessments.  You should check with the individual institution in order to find out what type of assessment they require.

You may need an assessment for:

  • Government-funded English programs
  • Colleges, universities and professional licensing bodies
  • Citizenship, immigration and visa applications

Here is some information about common language assessments.

Assessment for Government-funded English Programs

The government funds a number of different language programs which are free for eligible adults learners. To register in one of these English classes, you have to go to a language assessment centre to take a test in order to determine your level. It is free to take the test. You need to make an appointment before you go.

Most government-funded programs use the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) classification to describe your English language level in reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Find an language assessment centre near you.

You can also do a free online self-assessment of your CLB level in reading and listening. Your test results are for your information only - they are not official results.

These assessments are also available in French for government-funded French classes. The French equivalent to CLB is the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC).

Assessment for College, University or Professional Licensing Bodies

If you want to apply for a college or university, or to get a licence for your profession, you might need to take a standard test, such as:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of Spoken English (TSE)
  • Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)

Find out more about these tests in What are the language requirements for post-secondary education?

Many community agencies can give you information about getting your English assessed. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Assessment for Citizenship and Immigration Applications

To apply for citizenship you can use proof of language ability (in English or French) from specific organizations. Alternatively you can include proof that you have completed a LINC course or a provincially-funded language training course in Manitoba, British Columbia or Quebec at CLB/NCLC level 4 or higher. For a list of documents that meet the requirements please see the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

There are different language requirements for various immigration and visa programs. The requirements and language evaluation processes differ depending on the program.

For More Information

Last updated: December 8, 2022 4001187