Skip Breadcrumb Links
How do I apply for Employment Insurance (EI)?
To apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits you must apply online as soon as you lose your job. You don't need to wait to have your Record of Employment letter (ROI) to start your claim.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak we advise you to avoid visiting a Service Canada office and file your application online instead.
You will need your Social Insurance Number and some other documents to start your application.
When to Apply
You must apply within 4 weeks of your final day at work. It is a good idea to apply as soon as you stop working.
The Application Form and Documents
To apply for regular benefits, you must submit:
- An (ROE) - From each job you have had in the past year (52 weeks).
If your employer submits your ROE electronically, you do not need a paper copy.
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) - If you have a SIN that starts with "9" you also need to show your work permit and proof of your immigration status.
- Personal identification - Such as your driver's licence, birth certificate or passport.
- Your complete bank account information - You can find this on your bank statement. Or you can bring a personal cheque - write "void" on the cheque. The government uses this information to deposit your payment directly into your bank account.
- Your detailed version of the facts - If you have quit or have been dismissed from any job in the last year (52 weeks).
- Information about your most recent job - Such as: your salary (total earnings before deductions including tips and commissions), your gross earnings for your last week of work (from Sunday to the last day worked), gross amounts received or to be received (vacation pay, severance pay, pension, pay in lieu of notice or lay of) and other incomes.
If you are missing some of these documents, you can still apply. This will help prevent delays.
If you want to apply for special benefits, you may need more documents. Find more information about special benefits.
Where to Apply
You can apply at a Service Canada Centre near you.
You can apply for EI online.
Many settlement agencies can help you with your EI application. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me and search for "Settlement Services" in your area.
For more information about EI, you can call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 or go to their website.
For More Information
March 17, 2020