Skip Breadcrumb Links
Which professions are unregulated in Ontario?
Most professions are unregulated in Ontario. This means that you do not need a licence or certification to do them.
However, many professions have a voluntary certification. Some employers may ask for certification or prefer to hire people who have a certification.
This is a short list of some unregulated professions in Ontario. There are many more unregulated professions that are not listed here.
- Applied Chemical Technologists and Technicians
- Architectural Technicians and Technologists
- Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians and Construction Estimators
- Computer Programmers
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Drafting Technologists and Technicians
- Economists and Economic Policy Researchers and Analysts
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Financial and Investment Analysts
- Financial Managers
- Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technologists and Technicians
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians
Find a list of regulated professions in Ontario.
For More Information
- Information on Specific Occupations - A collection of information sheets on many professions for internationally-trained professionals. Each sheet contains information on practice and licensing requirements, regulatory bodies and qualifications assessment. From the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC).
- Ontario’s Labour Market - Labour market information and statistics can help you plan your career. Learn more about work trends and the skills, education and training you need for jobs today and in the future.
- Job Bank - Use this to find the name of your occupation in Canada, find out if it is regulated and get labour market information.
- Alternative Jobs to Regulated Professions - Get up to 5 alternative jobs (non-regulated employment) for different regulated professions. Read and compare key information about each job. Watch videos of newcomers talking about their experiences of entering and working in an alternative job.
February 17, 2022