How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

To get a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you have to fill out an application. You also need to collect some documents to submit with your application.

Apply Online

To apply online you will need to upload copies of a few different documents:

If the name indicated on your primary or secondary document is different than the name you are currently using, you must also provide supporting documents.

Apply by Mail

To apply by mail you will need:

  • a completed SIN application form (if you are unable to print the application form, you can order the form by phone at 1-506-548-7961; long-distance charges apply)
  • the required original documents

You will need to mail your completed application form and original documents (photocopies are not accepted) to the Social Insurance Registration Office.

If you send your application by registered mail, your document(s) will be returned to you in the same way. Service Canada is not responsible for documents lost in the mail.

Once you have submitted your application, the legislation does not prevent you from working in insurable employment before you receive your SIN.

Apply in Person

You may apply in person, this is a good option to support clients who face barriers to accessing SIN online. Depending on your region, your local Service Canada office may not be open every day. Find out when your local Service Canada Centre is open before you visit. You can request an appointment using the online service request form.

If you meet all the requirements, you can get your Social Insurance Number (SIN) the day you hand in the application. Service Canada no longer provides plastic SIN cards. There is no application fee for your first SIN.

Many settlement agencies can help you apply for a SIN. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Who can get a Social Insurance Number?

If you are eligible to work in Canada, you can get a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

This includes:

  • Canadian citizens
  • Permanent residents
  • Some temporary residents
  • Some refugee claimants

If you are a refugee claimant or a temporary resident, you will get a SIN with an expiration date. These SINs start with 9.

Download in Different Languages

These files are in Adobe Acrobat format. You need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.

For More Information

Last updated: January 26, 2023 4001100