What do I do if my SIN is lost or stolen?

Report a lost SIN to your local Service Canada Centre as soon as possible.

In addition, Service Canada recommends that you:

  • Report this to the police.
  • Review your bank account and credit cards for any unusual activity.
  • Watch your mail for any changes or disruptions.
  • Get a credit report to check for unusual activity.

Lost SIN - Infographic

It is important to keep your SIN card or confirmation of SIN letter safe and report a missing card or letter right away. If someone finds your card or letter they could use the information to commit fraud against you or someone else.

You can request a replacement confirmation of SIN from your local Service Canada Centre. However, Service Canada no longer provides plastic SIN cards. If you do not remember your SIN, your income tax return will include the number.

You can also call Service Canada for more information: 1-800-206-7218 (option 3).

For More Information

Last updated: February 14, 2017 4001102