What is the Assistive Devices Program?

In Ontario, the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) helps you pay for customized equipment, like wheelchairs and hearing aids if you have a long-term physical disability.

The ADP also helps cover the cost of specialized supplies, like those used with diabetes.

What are assistive devices?

An assistive device is a tool, product or type of equipment that helps you carry out your daily life activities. It may help you do things such as move around, see, communicate or eat. Assistive devices help people to live more independently.

Who qualifies?

Your income is not considered when you apply to this program.

To qualify for the program you must:

  • Be a resident of Ontario
  • Have a valid OHIP card
  • Have a disability requiring the equipment or supplies for six months or longer

You will not qualify for this program if you:

  • Are covered by WSIB for the equipment or supplies
  • Receive support from Veterans Affairs Canada

How much assistance will I receive?

The ADP covers approximately 75% of the cost of eligible equipment and supplies. For these items, the program is billed by the supplier directly and you pay the remaining 25% at the time of purchase. Sometimes, you may receive a series of payments throughout the year, instead of one big payment, to help cover the cost of ongoing supplies.

What is covered by the program?

You can find out which devices and supplies are covered by the ADP and which vendors you can choose from in this list:

What is NOT covered by the program?

There are many devices, supplies and vendors that are not covered by the ADP. You can review this list to see what is not covered by the program.

Are repairs or replacements covered by this program?

The ADP does not cover repair costs. You must pay those costs yourself. Care and maintenance of the equipment is also your responsibility. If you need to replace your equipment, the program may contribute to the cost if your condition changes or your equipment is no longer under warranty and cannot be repaired at a reasonable cost; this would be a case by case basis.

Are there other places I can get help paying for assistive devices?

If you have private health insurance, you may wish to contact them to see if they will help cover the remaining costs. If you qualify for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW) you can discuss your options with your caseworker.

If you can’t afford to pay for your portion of the cost you may wish to contact one of the these volunteer and charity organizations about financial support:

For More Information

  • Assistive Devices Program - If you have a long-term physical disability, you can get help paying for equipment and supplies when you qualify for the Assistive Devices Program. From the Ontario Government.
  • About the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) - Official information about the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). From the Ministry of Community and Social Services.
  • Assistive Devices Fact Sheet [PDF] - It explains the ODSP Assistive Devices Program and your options if you need a device that is not covered by this program. From ARCH Disability Law Centre.
Last updated: October 31, 2018 4006344