Where can I get medical help if I don't have a family doctor?

If you do not have a family doctor, you can get medical help from a:

In an emergency, call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room.

Walk-in Medical Clinic

You don't need an appointment to go to a walk-in medical clinic. Some clinics are open in the evening and on weekends.

You need to take your health (OHIP) card with you. You may not be able to see the same doctor every time you go to a clinic.

You may also have to wait to see a doctor or nurse, if there are a lot of other patients ahead of you.

To find walk-in medical clinic in your area:

  • Look online to find a walk-in medical clinic in your area.
  • Use the Health Connect Ontario to search for services in your area. You can search by location and type of service. It is run by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Community Health Centre (CHC)

You can also go to a Community Health Centre (CHC). CHCs have health professionals such as doctors, nurses, and nurse practitioners on staff.

If you do not have OHIP, you might be able to get health care services at a CHC.

In some cases, you can get help from a community health centre even if you do not yet have a health (OHIP) card.

Learn more about CHCs.

Find a CHC in Ontario.

Health Connect Ontario

You can call the Health Connect Ontario phone service by dialling 811 from any phone. You can talk to a registered nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This service is free and confidential.

You can ask the Health Connect Ontario nurse questions about health concerns, or describe symptoms you have. The nurse will help you to decide if you should go to a hospital emergency room, if you can wait to go to a doctor the next day, or if you can look after yourself at home.

For More Information

  • Your Health Care Options - Information and links about your options to get health care in Ontario. It includes a medical services directory of walk-in and after hours clinics, urgent care centres, and family health care providers. You can search the directory by location and type of services. It is run by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care..
Last updated: September 29, 2022 4001220