Skip Breadcrumb Links
What are Anxiety and Depression?
Some newcomers may experience lots of mental health challenges. Many newcomers have anxiety or depression. This is because moving to a new place, adjusting to a new culture, language problems, racial discrimination, and stress from home can be hard to deal with.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is when you start worrying about things more than usual. You can tell if you are anxious if:
- You are worrying about things you never used to worry about.
- You feel overwhelmed with your feelings.
- You are not sleeping well or you can’t sleep at all.
- You are eating too much or too little.
- You start becoming obsessive about some things, like washing your hands all the time.
- You start to panic in certain situations, or have a panic attack.
What are Panic Attacks?
Panic attacks are a major symptom of anxiety. Panic attacks can be really scary. You are having a panic attack if you feel like you cannot breathe, hyperventilating, feeling chest pain; feel like your heart is beating really fast, or feel dizzy.
What is Depression?
Depression is not just a feeling of sadness. It affects your mind and body. You might be depressed if you:
- You feel negatively about the world, and about yourself.
- You are having troubling dealing with sad about things that have happened to you, or you think about them a lot without feeling better about life.
- You feel tired all the time.
- You can’t sleep, or you sleep too much (can’t get out of bed).
- You start eating more or less than you usually do.
- You start feeling pain in your stomach or other parts of your body.
When Should I Get Help?
Do you feel anxious or depressed? If you feel anxious or depressed for more than 2 weeks then you should get help as soon as possible. If you are feeling like life isn’t worth living and are suicidal, then you should get help now.
Find out where to get help: Where can I get help with my mental health?
Download in Different Languages
These files are in Adobe Acrobat format. You need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.
November 8, 2016