Skip Breadcrumb Links
How can I get mental health help in a crisis?
A crisis is an emergency. In a crisis, you might feel overwhelmed or out of control. You can get help from a crisis centre or distress centre.
If you are in crisis, you can call or text 9-8-8, connecting you with the national mental health crisis and suicide prevention team. Anyone in crisis who is unable to call safely or prefers texting is able to obtain counselling any time of the day for free.
A crisis might be the result of losing your housing, money problems or a difficult situation that gets worse over time. Each person reacts differently in these situations. For some people, it might be a difficult situation, for other people, the same situation might be a crisis.
You are the best person to decide when you are in crisis. You might have problems eating, sleeping or concentrating. You don't have to wait until you have a crisis to ask for help.
Crisis centres or distress centres are free and confidential. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call a crisis centre if:
- You are considering suicide (killing yourself).
- You think someone else might be considering suicide.
- You just need to talk.
Find a Crisis Centre
For More Information
- ConnexOntario - Information and Referral Specialists answer all calls, emails or webchat requests any time of the day. The service is free, confidential and anonymous for people experiencing problems with gambling, drugs or alcohol and mental illness.
- How can I get help in an emergency? - This article describes how to make a 9-1-1 call. 911 operators can get an interpreter for you if you need one. From Settlement.Org.
- Good2Talk - A free and anonymous mental health helpline for postsecondary students in Ontario. A translation service is available in 170 languages for individuals who do not speak English or French.
- Children's Mental Health Centres - This portal can help you find the nearest treatment centre for children's mental health problems. From Children's Mental Health Ontario.
November 29, 2023