What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)?

To apply for a Health Card (OHIP) you need 3 types of documents. You must bring original documents. You cannot use photocopies.

You cannot use the same document twice. For example, if you use your Driver's Licence for section 2, you cannot use it again for section 3. You may need additional documents. For example, if you have changed your name, you may need to show a marriage certificate or a change of name certificate.

You need 1 document from each section:

1. Proof of Citizenship or OHIP Eligible Status

A document that shows that your immigration status makes you eligible for OHIP.

Canadian Citizens

  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or territory (issued under the Vital Statistics Act)
  • Canadian Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad
  • Certified Statement of Live Birth from a Canadian province or territory
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (paper document or card, not commemorative issue)
  • Certificate of Indian Status (paper or plastic card)
  • Registered Indian Record (certified)
  • Valid Canadian Passport or a Canadian passport that has been expired for less than 5 years
  • Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document

Permanent Residents ("landed immigrants")

  • Valid Permanent Resident Card or a Permanent Resident Card that has been expired for less than 5 years
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM1000)

Other Immigration Status

  • Letter from Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB( confirming Convention Refugee or Protected Person status
  • Protected Person Status document
  • Temporary Resident Permit (only some cases)
  • Work Permit (only some cases)
  • Written confirmation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence
  • Written confirmation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship
  • Verification of status (IMM 5716 or IMM 5715)

2. Proof of Residency

A document that has your name and current home address. This document confirms that your principal home is in Ontario.

  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

3. Support of Identity

A document that has both your name and your signature.

  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (plastic card)
  • Certificate of Indian Status (paper or plastic card)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292, only if the signature is displayed)
  • Credit card
  • Current employee ID card or document
  • Current professional association licence
  • Old Age Security card
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate portion)
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Permanent Resident Card (only if the signature is displayed)
  • Record of Landing (IMM1000)
  • Student ID card
  • Union card
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence or Temporary Driver's Licence
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

For official information about OHIP eligibility and application, please contact Service Ontario:

  • In Canada: 1-800-268-1154
  • TTY: 1-800-387-5559

In addition, many settlement agencies can answer your questions about the Health Card. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "community health services" or "settlement services" in your area.

For More Information

  • How to Obtain a New or Replacement Health Card - Information about health card services, how to get a new card and how to replace your existing card. From ServiceOntario.
  • OHIP Coverage Waiting Period - Information about the 3-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. From the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
  • Ontario Photo Card - This card is an identification document for non-drivers in Ontario. You can get one if you are 16 or over and do not have a driver’s licence.
Last updated: June 12, 2023 4001246