What kinds of short-term housing are available?

There are many kinds of short-term housing available. This can be a good option if you are planning to land and then leave soon after you arrive, or if you plan to rent or buy a home but need some time to look around first.

Options for Short-term Travellers

If you are staying in Canada for a short period of time and don't need full house features (such as a kitchen), consider:

  • Hostels - Generally, you share a bathroom and a kitchen, but for single people or small families, these hostels can be comfortable and economical. You can find hostel listings at Hostels.com, Hostelz.com, and Hostel International Hostels.
  • Bed and Breakfast (B&B) - A bed and breakfast, often referred to as a B&B, is usually operated out of a large single-family home. Usually, you have a private bedroom, with or without your own bathroom. In most cases, breakfast is served in the morning. However, you do not have access to kitchen facilities.
  • Some college and university residences rent rooms (such as dormitory rooms) to non-students. More rooms are available during the summer months, May to August. Look for information about "student services," "conference services," "housing," or "student residence."
  • Budget or discount motels and hotels - Motels are usually cheaper than hotels in Canada.

Options for Longer-term Travellers

These options may be useful if you are staying for a longer time and need more features (such as kitchen):

  • Apartment hotels - Apartment hotels rent furnished suites. They have daily, weekly and monthly rates, and are generally cheaper than hotels.
  • Shared accommodation - Some home-owners and tenants of apartments look for people to share their place. You have a private bedroom and share the other living spaces, such as the kitchen and bathroom.

Read How do I look for rental housing? for ways to find rental accommodations.

You can contact a community agency for more information about short-term housing. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information

  • Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association - Find online listings of accommodation across Ontario. The ORHMA is a non-profit trade association.
  • OntarioTravel.net - This website has information for tourists and short-term travellers to Ontario. Produced by the Government of Ontario.
  • Welcome to Canada: What You Should Know - An Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada publication explaining various aspects of Canadian life, including information on basic services and finding help in your community.
  • Living in a Motel [PDF] - If you are living in a motel, you may be covered by the Residetial Tenancies Act (RTA). Read this guide to find out if you are covered by the RTA. Although it is for people living in Nippissing, most of the information applies to all of Ontario.
Last updated: March 14, 2022 4001304