Who should I notify when I move?

If you have a landlord, you must notify them. There are government services and other businesses that you may need to notify too.

If you are a renter, you have to give your landlord notice that you are planning to move.

You can pay Canada Post to redirect your mail for 6 months or 12 months.

Government Services

When you move, you should notify these government services, if relevant:

Identity Documents

Use an online service to change the address on your Driver's Licence, Vehicle Registration, Health Card and Outdoors Card.

Or you can update them in-person at a ServiceOntario kiosk.


You might also want to notify these institutions, organizations and businesses:

  • Employers
  • Banks, and credit card companies
  • Telephone and cable providers
  • Schools
  • Insurance companies
  • Doctors, dentists, and other professionals
  • Magazine or newspaper subscriptions

For More Information

  • Changing Your Address - A checklist of government services to contact. From Service Canada.
  • Moving Out - This booklet describes what tenants have to do if they want to move out, and what can happen if they do not follow the rules. From Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO).
  • How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy - A brochure from the Landlord and Tenant Board.
Last updated: September 4, 2015 4001533