Who does the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) apply to?

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) protects most people who rent their home in Ontario.

There are situations where the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) does not apply. The RTA does not protect people living in:

  • Emergency shelters;
  • Hospitals or nursing homes (also called long-term care facilities);
  • Prison;
  • Student residence or dormitories;
  • Temporary or seasonal use units; or
  • Units that sharing a kitchen or bathroom with the landlord or a member of their immediate family.

If you need help or information about your rights under the RTA you can contact a legal clinic or housing help centre for more information. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.

For More Information

Last updated: June 3, 2021 4001265