Do I need to keep my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document?

If you are a permanent resident it is important to keep your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document (previously called a Record of Landing). You may need this document to apply for certain programs and benefits as you age in Canada.

What will I need my CoPR document for?


When you come to Canada, as a permanent resident for the first time, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) to an immigration officer at the port of entry.

Important Documents

You can also use your CoPR document to apply for a Social Insurance Number when you first arrive.

Social Benefits

When you apply for Old Age Security Pension (OAS) you can use certified copies of your CoPR document or Record of Landing as "Proof of Canadian Legal Status".

What if I lose my CoPR document?

If you lose your CoPR document or your Record of Landing you will need to apply for a Verification of Landing document. This process may take some time so it's a good idea to plan carefully if you need a replacement.

For More Information

  • Verification of Status or Replacement of an Immigration Document - Use this application to get a Verification of Status or a replacement of a temporary resident document. From Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Service Canada - This office provides the public with a single point of access to a wide range of government services and benefits.
  • Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - The federal agency responsible for border (port-of-entry) services, customs and the enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.
Last updated: August 12, 2021 4005015