Education and Training

You may need more education or training before you can work in your profession or trade in Ontario. You can learn more about the types of training available to you and where you can find services that will help you in your search.

Most employers require you to speak English. Some employers may need people who can speak French or other languages. You may be eligible to take classes through the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. Contact the nearest language assessment centre to book an appointment.

If you are not eligible for LINC, you can find other free or low-cost classes in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) through school boards and nonprofit organizations.

If your profession or trade requires you to take courses at a university or college, you may need to pass a language test:

Check with your regulatory body or institution to make sure you take a test they will accept.

Specialized Language Training

You may need to learn professional terminology to help you on the job or to prepare for licensing exams.

Enhanced Language Training (ELT) programs provide job-specific, advanced-level English training that may be helpful if you work in a specialized field that uses a lot of technical terms.

Occupation-Specific Language Training (OSLT) programs can help you learn Canadian workplace culture and job-specific vocabulary for various industries.

Some programs also provide information about the “soft” skills needed at Canadian workplaces.


Internships are another way for you to gain Canadian experience. You can find different internship programs in Ontario that can help you, some libraries keep copies of current career strategy books that may list internships and you can attempt to arrange your own by networking.

Post-Secondary and Continuing Education Programs

You may need to get more training if you are changing careers or want to enter a regulated profession.

Some regulatory bodies or professional and trade associations offer their own courses or they partner with universities, colleges or private training institutions. For more information, you can contact your regulatory body or association.

You may be able to take courses in the evenings or on weekends through continuing and adult education programs. Universities, colleges and school boards offer these programs. Many professionals and tradespeople in Ontario take these courses as part of their ongoing professional development.

If you decide to switch careers, employment counsellors can help you explore your options. Many community agencies offer these services for free.

Bridge Training Programs

Bridge training programs can help you:

  • Assess your education and skills
  • Learn about Canadian workplace culture, practices and communication
  • Access language training
  • Upgrade your skills to meet Canadian requirements
  • Find workplace experience
  • Prepare for licensing exams

Bridge Training Programs are offered for a variety of regulated and non-regulated professions and trades.

Financial Aid

If you are taking a college training program, you may be able to get scholarships or bursaries to help pay for the cost of your studies. Ask the college you want to attend for more information. There may be other financial assistance options available to help you obtain training, depending on where you live in Ontario. Some of these options include:

  • OSAP, which is the main source of financial aid for post-secondary education in Ontario. The website includes information on loans and listings of eligible institutions. It also has an online application form and allows students to check the status of their application online.
  • Apprenticeship Incentive Grant, which is a taxable cash grant you can get if you’re a registered apprentice who has successfully completed your first or second year (level) of an apprenticeship program in an eligible trade.

If you have worked in Canada and paid into the Employment Insurance program for the required number of weeks in the area where you live, you may also be eligible for Employment Insurance. If you absolutely cannot find work and are out of money, you may be eligible for Ontario Works (social assistance).

Useful Links