Skip Breadcrumb Links
What do I need to know about shopping online?
You should always use caution and only give information to websites you trust.
Shopping online is popular in Canada and many goods are available through the internet. However, since you usually have to provide your credit card and other personal information, you need to be careful that the website is legitimate and your information will be protected.
Here are some things to consider when shopping on the internet:
- Do you trust the business?
- Do you have enough information about the product - even though you can't touch or sample it?
- What can you do if something goes wrong?
- How does the business make sure that your personal and financial information is private and secure?
Try to gather as much information about an online retailer as you can. Read all the materials on their website, or read consumer publications to find out more.
For More Information
- Shopping Online Safely - You should ask yourself these questions before buying something online. From the Government of Canada.
- Be Informed About Internet Safety - Information about protecting your personal information and passwords, and popular scams. From the Government of Canada.
- Competition Bureau Consumer Information Page - This government website has information to help consumers to make informed decisions and protect themselves from scams. There is also an online complaint form.
- Consumer Reports - A database of consumer reports for a variety of products. Search by keyword.
October 26, 2015