What do I do if my SIN is lost or stolen?

If you've lost a SIN card or confirmation letter, Service Canada will not replace the Social Insurance Number they will reissue a confirmation letter. The only time they will give you a new number, is if you can prove that your SIN was stolen or being used in identity theft.

To replace a lost SIN card or confirmation letter you’ll need to:

You'll receive a SIN confirmation letter that same visit and it is free. The government no longer issues cards if you lost a SIN card.

If your SIN was stolen or you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, Service Canada recommends that you:

  • Report this to the police.
  • Review your bank account and credit cards for any unusual activity.
  • Watch your mail for any changes or disruptions.
  • Get a credit report to check for unusual activity.

It is important to keep your SIN card or confirmation of SIN letter safe and report a missing card or letter right away. If someone finds your card or letter they could use the information to commit fraud against you or someone else.

There are no Service Canada Centres near me

If you're not able to go in person or you live more than 100 kilometers away from a Service Canada Centre you can call 1-800-206-7218 (select option #3) and ask for permission to mail in your identity documents. 

If you choose this option you must:

  • Mail your original documents to the Service Canada Centre nearest you.
  • Send your personal identification documents by registered mail to ensure they don’t get lost.
  • Fill out a SIN Application Form.

For More Information

Last updated: December 8, 2022 4001102