What if my Canadian passport is lost or stolen?

You are required to report this to the:

After you report a passport lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and you cannot use it to travel.

You can apply for a replacement passport. If you are in Canada, apply at a Passport Canada office. If you are outside of Canada, apply at a Canadian government office abroad. Find application instructions and links to application forms on the Passport Canada website.

The replacement may only be valid for a short time. Before they issue a replacement, Canadian authorities will investigate the circumstances around the lost or stolen passport. This means that you may have to wait while they investigate.

For More Information

Last updated: July 10, 2023 4001356