What help can seniors get to continue living at home?

If you want to live in your own home, you can get some health services in your home. You can also get financial help to make your home safe for you.

You may qualify for these services and financial programs, even if you are living with family.

Health Services in Your Home

A Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) can arrange for health professionals to come to your home. They can give you:

  • Health services - For example, help with your medication or physiotherapy exercises
  • Personal care services - For example, help getting dressed or bathing

Depending on what kind of health service you need, you might need a referral from a doctor. You need to have the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) or the Interim Federal Health (IFH) Program. If you have applied for OHIP but have not received your Health (OHIP) Card yet, you may be eligible. Call your local LHIN for more information.

For information or to request service, call your local LHIN.

Financial Help for Home Adaptations

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has a list of affordable housing programs in Ontario. Some of these programs help pay for small changes to your home and for equipment to make your home safe. For example, you may want to get handrails for your stairs or bathtub.

For more information and to apply for this program, contact the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation at 1-800-668-2642.

If you are doing renovations to make your home more accessible, you may also be eligible for the Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit. Through this program, you could receive a 15% tax rebate for expenses of up to $10,000 (up to a maximum $1,500 rebate).

For more information on the Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit, you can phone the Ministry of Finance at 1-866-668-8297.

For More Information

Last updated: August 15, 2016 4001328