I have a driver's licence from another province in Canada. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?

Your previous driving experience may help you get an Ontario driver's licence faster than a new driver.

The process depends on how much driving experience you have. In all cases, you driver's licence must not be expired, or must have expired less than a year ago.

If you have a driver's licence from a country with a reciprocal agreement, you follow this process, too.

2 Years or More of Driving Experience in the Last 3 Years

You may get a full licence and you do not have to take a knowledge (written) test or road (driving) test. You do have to

  • Pass a vision test to show that you can see well enough to drive safely.
  • Show proof of your previous licence.
  • Show proof of your driving experience.

Less Than 2 Years of Driving Experience in the Last 3 Years

You may get credit for your experience. You may start part-way through the graduated licensing system and get a G2 or M2 licence. After you have 2 years of driving experience, you can take the G2 or M2 road test and get a full licence.


You need to pay a fee to exchange your out-of-province driver's licence for an Ontario licence. The fee depends on what kind of Ontario licence you get. See a list of fees for exchanging an out-of-province licence.

Find more information about exchanging an out-of-province driver's licence on the DriveTest website.

Contact the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario

The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is the government department that controls driver's licences and vehicle registration in Ontario. Call the MTO if you have questions:

  • In Ontario: 1-800-387-3445
  • In Toronto: 416-235-2999
  • TTY: 1-866-471-8929

For More Information

  • Driver Examination Centres - You can take written tests and driving tests at these centres. From the DriveTest website.
  • Driver's Handbook Online - The official guide to the rules of the road, safe driving practices and how to get your licence to drive a car, van or small truck. From the Ministry of Transportation.
  • Out of Country Drivers - Information on how to get an Ontario licence if you have had a driver's licence before but are not eligible for a licence exchange. From the DriveTest website.
  • Ministry of Transportation (MTO) - The provincial government agency responsible for the transportation industry and driving. The website has information about driver and vehicle licensing and Ontario transit systems.
Last updated: June 12, 2023 4001361