Skip Breadcrumb Links
What kind of ID can I get, if I don't have a driver's licence?
The Ontario Photo Card is government-issued identification (ID) that you can get instead of a driver's licence.
If you don't have a driver's licence, you may be able to show other forms of ID, such as a passport, PR Card, or health card.
If you don't want to carry these sensitive ID documents around with you, the Ontario Photo Card may be a good option for you.
Who can get the Ontario Photo Card?
You can get an Ontario Photo Card if:
- You must be at least 16 years old, a resident of Ontario and a non-driver.
- You cannot have an Ontario Photo Card and an Ontario driver's licence at the same time. If you have a driver's licence already, your licence will be cancelled if you apply for the Ontario Photo Card.
- If you get your Ontario driver's licence later, you must give up the Ontario Photo Card.
What can I do with my Ontario Photo Card?
According to the Ministry of Transportation website, you can use it to prove your identity when you:
- Open a new bank account
- Get a credit card
- Board a domestic flight
- Return or rent goods
- Access other government, financial or business services
The Ontario Photo Card is not an international travel document.
To Apply for a Photo Card
You must go to a ServiceOntario location and fill out an application.
Bring acceptable identification documents that prove your legal name, date of birth and signature.
If you do not have identification that shows your signature, you can get a Declaration from a Guarantor [PDF].
Do I have to renew my Ontario Photo Card?
Your Ontario Photo Card must be renewed every 5 years. You must get a new photo every 10 years. If you are not due to update your photo, you can renew online. If you need to update your photo or make other changes you must visit a ServiceOntario location in person. The cost to renew your card is $35.
How can I replace a lost, stolen or damaged card?
For the cost of $10, you can replace a Photo Card. You must fill out an application at a ServiceOntario location and give proof of your:
- Legal name
- Date of birth
How can I change the information on my Ontario Photo Card?
When your Photo Card arrives, check over all the information carefully. If any of your information is incorrect, you must visit a ServiceOntario location to have it corrected, along with the necessary supporting documents.
Other changes you can make to your Ontario Photo Card include:
For More Information
- Ontario Photo Card - This card is an identification document for non-drivers in Ontario. You can get one if you are 16 or over and do not have a driver’s licence. From ServiceOntario.
- Official Ontario ID and Certificates - Get your official identification and certificates directly from the government of Ontario through ServiceOntario.
July 13, 2021