How do I apply for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)?

The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18.

Important note: As of July 1, 2016, the CCB replaces the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) and the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB). If you were receiving CCTB or UCCB, you do not need to apply for the CCB.

To apply for the Canadian Child Benefit (CCB), complete the Canada Child Benefits Application (RC66) form.

If you are applying for the first time, you may need to provide supporting documentation, such as proof of immigration status in Canada and proof of birth for:

  • Children born outside of Canada; or
  • Children who were born in Canada but are 1 year of age or older.

The CCB application form has more information about what documents can be used as proof. Send photocopies, not originals.

This can be a confusing process. If you need more information or help, contact the Canada Revenue Agency or a settlement agency. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Where do I send my application?

When your CCB application is complete, mail it and any other required forms or documents to a tax services office near you.

What happens after I apply?

You will receive a Canada Child Benefit Notice within 80 calendar days of submitting your CCB application. The notice will tell you how much your benefit is (if anything) and how your benefit was calculated.

To continue to receive the CCB, you and your spouse or common-law partner each have to file separate tax returns every year, even if you have no income to report.

How do I apply if I have a newborn in Ontario?

If you have a child in Ontario, you can apply for all child benefits through ServiceOntario's 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle. This service registers you for any child benefits you are eligible for and also helps you get a birth certificate and Social Insurance Number (SIN) for your child.

For More Information

  • Child and Family Benefits - Information about the Canada Child Benefit, including application and payment procedures. From the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
  • Newcomers to Canada - This guide is for first time tax filers in Canada. It will help you determine if you are a resident for tax purposes, which is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. From the CRA.
  • Frequently Asked Questions about Individual Taxation - Information and answers about tax rates and how to file your return. From the CRA.
  • General Income Tax and Benefit Package - A collection of forms and information sheets which you need to file your income tax return. From the CRA.
  • Ontario Tax Credits and Benefits - Learn about the different tax credits and benefits you can get to help you with living costs when you file your income tax return. From the Ministry of Finance.
Last updated: July 12, 2021 4001378