How can I get my Canadian passport from outside Canada?

You must fill out an application, collect the required documents and submit them all with the required fees.

Application Form

The application form is different depending on if you are applying from the United States or Internationally. You can also pick up an application form at your nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

Required Documents

You will need to submit the following:


  • Only original documents are accepted and they will be returned to you.
  • Additional documents or information may be requested.
  • All documents submitted in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by a translation from a certified translatorFind out more.


The processing fees vary depending on where you are applying from.

Submit the Application

If you are in the United States, you can only submit your application, supporting documents and required fees by mail. You cannot take the application to a Government of Canada office in the US. Since you will be sending original documents, you should use a courier or mail service that allows you to track your mail in case it is misplaced.

If you are in another country other than the US, you must submit your application to the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

Visit the Passport Canada website for detailed information about how long it will take to process the application and how to request urgent processing.


For general questions, check the Frequently Asked Questions section for adult passport applications on the Passport Canada website.

If you have specific questions about your situation, contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868.

For More Information

Last updated: December 30, 2016 4001586