Do I have to go to the city of destination on my CoPR?

With a Certificate of Permanent Residence (CoPR) you can enter, live, study or work anywhere in Canada.

You have full mobility rights as a Canadian resident but there are some exceptions. 

Provincial Nominee Program

If you were granted your CoPR based on a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) it is recommended that you live in the province that nominated you through the immigration process.

You won't be restricted from leaving the province but provincially-nominated immigrants sign and agree to a contract with the province and must demonstrate a genuine intention to live there in order to be granted permanent residence status in Canada.

Failing to show that you are willing to live in the province that nominated you may jeopardize your status.

Port of Entry

Typically, if you choose to enter the country via a city outside of the province you were selected to work, it is up to the customs officer whether you will be allowed to declare your permanent residence at that port of entry.

If you enter through a port of entry that isn’t listed on your CoPR document, you may experience unnecessary complications. Therefore, you may want to land in the city that is listed on your CoPR document.

When Can I Move as a Provincial Nominee?

Once you have fulfilled the terms of your signed PNP agreement, you are free to move to any part of the country.

The PNP is by invitation only. Each province and territory has its own PNP or selection system with its own requirements and guidelines.

You were chosen based on the skills you can bring to that province or specific “streams” that target demographics of:

  • Skilled workers
  • Students
  • Business Professionals

The province of Quebec does not have a PNP and selects its own skilled workers, therefore if you want to land in Quebec you must obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec.

Under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program, Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), or a Canadian Experience Class (CEC)  you may live in any province desired and you don't have the same contractual obligations.

For More Information

Last updated: December 29, 2017 4006308