What can I do if my employer will not pay me?

If this happens, you can:

  • Talk to your employer to try to solve the problem.
  • Call the Ministry of Labour for help.
  • File a claim with the Ministry of Labour.

Talk to Your Employer

The Ministry of Labour suggests that you first try to talk to your employer yourself. They have worksheets and tools to help you calculate how much your employer might owe you.

If you talk to your employer, write down the day and time that you spoke. Keep a list of what you talked about and what your employer said they would do.

If you write to your employer, keep a copy of it. You can also send the letter by registered mail so that you have proof that you sent it. You can also send it by regular mail, fax or you can give it to them directly.

If you need help writing the letter to your employer, you can contact a local Ministry of Labour office. You can also visit a settlement agency for help and advice about file a claim, or to understand more about your rights. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" near you.

Call the Ministry of Labour

Sometimes it's better to contact the Ministry of Labour directly to discuss the situation and to find out what you can do. The Ministry of Labour can give you information about your options.

Call the Ministry of Labour:

  • Ontario: 1-800-531-5551
  • Toronto: 416-326-7160
  • TTY: 1-866-567-8893

File a Claim

If you believe that your employer is not following the Employment Standards Act (ESA) law, you can find a claim with the Ministry of Labour. For more information, go to When can I file a claim with the Ministry of Labour?

For More Information

Last updated: January 8, 2016 4001123