Skip Breadcrumb Links
What is NEXUS?
NEXUS is a voluntary program that allows members to travel more easily between Canada and the United States of America (USA). NEXUS members can use dedicated lanes and electronic stations to cross the border and immigration areas at certain airports.
Why should I consider getting a NEXUS card?
Showing a NEXUS card at the Canada-US border can help you:
- Avoid long lines
- Save time at airports by using automated self-serve kiosks
- Receive advance clearance by using pre-check lines
However, it is important to note that any time you enter Canada or the US, you may be subject to an inspection.
Am I eligible for NEXUS?
To be eligible for a NEXUS card you must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the USA to be considered for the program. Some Mexican nationals may also be eligible.
- Satisfy the NEXUS eligibility criteria.
- Be someone who is allowed to enter Canada and the US.
- Complete an application and an interview where you are evaluated by both countries.
- Meet certain residency requirements if you are a permanent resident.
What are the fees?
There is a $50 processing fee for adults over the age of 18 when applying for a NEXUS card. NEXUS can also be renewed after five years for a $50 fee.
Do my children need a NEXUS card?
If you are travelling with children, they must also have a NEXUS card. You do not have to pay an application or renewal fee for children under the age of 18.
How can I apply for NEXUS?
You can learn how to apply for NEXUS in the How do I apply for a NEXUS card? article.
If you break any of the terms or conditions of the NEXUS program, you may have your membership taken away from you.
For More Information
October 11, 2018