Skip Breadcrumb Links
What is NEXUS?
NEXUS allows its members to travel more easily between Canada and the US. NEXUS members can use dedicated lanes and electronic stations to cross the border.
Why should I consider getting a NEXUS card?
Showing a NEXUS card at the Canada-US border can help you:
- Avoid long lines
- Save time at airports by using automated self-serve kiosks
- Receive advance clearance by using pre-check lines
However, it is important to note that any time you enter Canada or the US, you may be subject to an inspection.
Am I eligible for NEXUS?
To be eligible for a NEXUS card you must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the US, or a Mexican national who is also a member of the Viajero Confiable program
- Satisfy the NEXUS eligibility criteria;
- Be someone who is allowed to enter Canada and the US
- Pass risk assessments, a process where you are evaluated by both countries
Only certain permanent residents living in or outside of Canada or the US are eligible to apply.
What are the fees?
There is a $50 processing fee for adults over the age of 18 when applying for a NEXUS card. NEXUS can also be renewed after five years for a $50 fee.
While online applications will be charged in US dollars, paper applications can be made in either Canadian or US dollars.
Do my children need a NEXUS card?
If you are travelling with children, they must also have a NEXUS card. You do not have to pay an application or renewal fee for children under the age of 18.
How can I apply for NEXUS?
You can learn how to apply for NEXUS in 5 Steps in the How do I apply for a NEXUS card? article
If you break any of the terms or conditions of the NEXUS program, you may have your membership taken away from you.
For More Information
July 26, 2017