Skip Breadcrumb Links
I don't have a driver's licence. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?
If you have never had a driver's licence before, you have pass a knowledge test and 2 road tests to get a full driver's licence.
The knowledge test is a written test. The test is about traffic signs and lights, safe driving and other driving rules and practices. You can prepare for the knowledge test by reading the Official MTO Driver's Handbook. You can also get handbooks for motorcycle drivers, bus drivers and truck drivers.
You can write the knowledge test in different languages. Check with your local Driver Examination Centre or Service Ontario location to see which languages you can get.
The road tests are driving tests. If you are applying for a licence to drive a car (G class licences) you will drive a car with an examiner beside you. The examiner will tell you where to go and watch you drive.
Many people choose to take professional driving lessons to learn to drive, gain experience and prepare for the driving tests. See a list of government-approved driving schools.
Ontario has a "graduated licensing" system for new drivers. This means that you have to practise driving before you can get a full licence. During the practice period, there are restrictions on how, when and where you can drive.
Find out more about graduated licensing.
Apply for a Driver's Licence
Find information about how to apply for a driver's licence.
Contact the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario
The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is the government department that controls driver's licences and vehicle registration in Ontario. Call the MTO if you have questions:
- In Ontario: 1-800-387-3445
- In Toronto: 416-235-2999
- TTY: 1-866-471-8929
For More Information
- Driver Examination Centres - You can take written tests and driving tests at these centres. From the DriveTest website.
- Driver's Handbook Online - The official guide to the rules of the road, safe driving practices and how to get your licence to drive a car, van or small truck. From the Ministry of Transportation.
- Graduated Licensing - Information about the graduated licensing system in Ontario. From the Ministry of Transportation.
- Obtaining a Driver's Licence - Information for car drivers and motorcycle drivers. From the DriveTest website.
- Checklist for Choosing a Driving School - Tips about how to choose a driving school. From the Driving School Association of Ontario.
- How do I get my driver's licence? - This video has information about getting a driver's licence if you have never had a driver's licence before. It has information about the graduated licensing system. From NewYouth.ca, a website for young newcomers to Ontario.
October 27, 2015