I am pregnant. Where can I find services?

Many organizations have services for pregnant women. You can find services and support in community-based non-profit organizations, community health centres, community centres and hospitals.

Prenatal and Postnatal Care

Prenatal services can help you during your pregnancy. Postnatal services help you after your baby is born.

For example, the Canada Prenatal Nutrition Program (CPNP) funds prenatal programs for pregnant women. The purpose of these groups is to reduce the rate of unhealthy birth weights, improve the health of both baby and mother, and also to encourage breastfeeding. Find a Canada Prenatal Nutrition Program (CPNP) Project in your community.

Public health units have a program called Healthy Babies, Healthy Children (HBHC). This program is for families with children from before birth up to 6 years old. The HBHC program works with hospitals, doctors, public health nurses, home visitors and service agencies in the community. Contact your local public health unit for more information.

Doctors and Midwives

You may want to see a family doctor or a midwife when you think you are pregnant. Family doctors can tell you how to take care of yourself and the baby. They can refer you to an obstetrician. An obstetrician is a doctor who specializes in pregnancy and childbirth.

A midwife provides primary care to low-risk women throughout pregnancy, labour and birth. A midwife also provides care to you and your baby for 6 weeks after birth. With a midwife, you can give birth at home or in a hospital - it is your choice. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for the cost of midwife services. If you do not have OHIP, you may need to pay for some services, such as blood tests and hospital fees.

Community Health Centres

Some Community Health Centres (CHCs) have prenatal and post-natal services. Some CHCs can help you even if you do not have OHIP.

Find more information in What are community health centres?

Find a Community Health Centre in your community.

Find the Services You Want

Many settlement agencies and Community Health Centres can help you find the pregnancy services that you need. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me and search for "community health centre" or "settlement agencies" in your area.

You can also contact a Community Information Centre and ask them about local programs and services for pregnant women.

For More Information

Last updated: October 27, 2015 4000196